Monday, March 21, 2011

Join the National Genealogical Society

I have been a member of the National Genealogical Society for two years – and I wish I’d joined years ago.  It’s the best investment in my own genealogical development, research, and information in a long time.  First, the mission of NGS is excellent and they pursue their goals through a variety of different methods.  The NGS Quarterly and the NGS Magazine are published quarterly and are both outstanding genealogical publications.  NGS has also digitized several years of back issues for both publications and, as a member, you can access and download them to your own computer.  NGS also has a large selection of excellent “Research in the States Series” monographs that will guide you in genealogical research for a number of specific states, and many more will be published in the next few years.   

Those are just a few of the outstanding resources I have thoroughly enjoyed using and having at my fingertips through my NGS membership.  Explore their website, http://www.ngsgenealogy.org/, and you will find numerous other outstanding educational and informational programs and resources that I have not yet explored.  
One of the best parts of dealing with the NGS is the professional, efficient, and friendly NGS staff.  They have been excellent in every request and query I have made of them during my time as a member.  Meet them while you’re at the conference in Charleston, and you will enjoy dealing with them for months after you go home.  

I encourage you to join the National Genealogical Society while you’re at the conference in Charleston, South Carolina.  You will not be sorry you did. 

Don Rightmyer
Kentucky Historical Society
Kentucky

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment